in the mood for sheaths...


Vintage 60's cheongsam-style dress, vintage brooch
This lady loves a sheath dress, crazy as the pursuit may be. This fusion frock is a great example of mixing sleek 60s style and prints with the cheongsam dresses that were themselves a fusion development of 20s Shanghai. It came with a matching cropped 'Jackie' jacket and is both a substantial knit and sleekly comfortable.  After seeing 'In the Mood for Love' so many years ago, I have been obsessed with building a collection of cheongsams in 60's prints or totally basic, utilitarian fabrics.  The print and colouring on this one is still a touch 'eastern' but I also have a wool houndstooth knit and some basic cotton shifts and even a pinstripe. I totally don't wear them enough. I have been lucky enough to find a few that fit, since they're generally made-to-measure. This one is funny because it's totally a polyester knit but with a silk lining!





 

Oh Maggie and Tony, how I love thee. I'm pretty sure I've posted about this film/dress obsession before but it bears repeating. I'm always on the hunt for the right floral version- like a bevy of these beauties...


This might have been a compelling compromise were the print to continue all around (argh- such a pet peeve of mine...so irritating and 'cheap'!)

Anthropologie Heian Shift
But I'll probably just keep stalking Etsy until something in my size pops up again. Like these:

Vintage 60s cheongsam suit with jacket
Autumnal print 60s cheongsam
Vintage floral silk cheongsam
Or make your own (ha ha ha....*mad laughter*...yes, I have purchased vintage patterns for this very purpose that I guarantee I will never follow through on...)

Simplicity pattern 1447
Vogue pattern 5571

Comments