before night falls...

Anthropologie Trace the Stars blouse, J Crew Nightfall pencil skirt, H&M cardigan, teal Chie Mihara Livia

I am not a big lover of the colour blue- it's one shade that is, uh, dead to me if you will.  However I do love the mix of dark teals and navys with black.  It's such a luxurious, shimmering combination, like sapphires on velvet, or the irresistible sheen of Veronica Lodge's hair.  I'm glad I succumbed to the sweet constellation pattern of this navy silk blouse before it sold out online in my size- it was reasonably priced for a structured silk top, and you know I can't resist linear patterns!  I also couldn't resist the temptation to pair it with another evening nomenclature, the Nightfall pencil skirt from J Crew fall 2010.  I threw in a cardigan and nubby silk scarf for the requisite blacks (and some warmth at my desk- the heating doesn't always compensate for a 15-foot tall window at my back!)

The blouse has a wonderful cut, with darted waistline, gathered sleeves, and the illusion of a peplum hem that goes spectacularly with a fitted pencil skirt.  I imagine it would be cute with  a nice pair of jeans as well...I may yet get there!  The top fits TTS to a bit small- this is a size 0, and would fit larger-chested gals than me too.  The waist is small though, without any give.
 
Oh my, has it really been that long since Javier Bardem so hotly channeled the writer Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls?  11 years- yikes!

Comments