Epic Anthropologie Reviews! Part 1!

This lucky gal just spent a few days in THE big city and took advantage of the free 'personal shopper' service at Anthropologie.  I was a little dubious at first, since I'm kind of an introvert, but it seemed like a fun thing to try once.  Boy am I ever happy I did-  it turns out my wishlist is kinda old and so everyhing was languishing in a secret backroom somewhere!  I went into the Rockefeller centre store in the morning to check the store out, and was disappointed that many of the things I wanted to try weren't even there.  Well, when I came back, Alison had filled a big changing room with everything I had been hoping to try, alongside layering pieces in a bunch of fun colours and textures and just let me 'go to town'.  I had a blast, and it seemed like one of those days where everything fit, and everything is beautiful and squeal-worthy.  It was pretty tough to narrow my selections down at the end of a marathon session.

Now, I went in with a pretty good idea of my most-desired pieces, but I still came away with a surprise or two.  However since this is probably the one and only time I will ever be able to review things before they hit the sale cycle or come to me second-hand via the trade board, here are a few of the newer pieces I tried on.
Rodna dress, size 2
Rodna dress, size 0
I was pretty eager to try this dress out- I mean, it's green, it's vintage-y, and it's lovely and sold out online in my size(s).  Well, I still think it's lovely, but I found the fabric a little thin for the structured design of the top.  It was hard to zip up because the corners were droopy, and I felt like for $158 it needed to be a bit more substantial and enduring.  Both the 0 and the 2 fit, so pretty TTS I'd say, though I would probably want the smaller size for fear of stretching in the top if magically I were ever to find this beauty on sale.  I also kinda felt oddly busty in it, which is just weird.


Layered column dress,size small; Arched pleats pullover size XS (?), Halation necklace

I was also hankering to try out the structural monochromatic stripes of the layered column dress.  So beautiful!  I love it even though I'm a little too hippy and small-shouldered for it.  It's just pretty, and it felt pretty, and flattering, and comfortable.  sigh.  But it is also just a bit too $$ for right now.  The cropped pullover was a fun and unexpected layering piece.  The colour and drape is nice, and the fabric is a pretty standard modal cotton mix.


Graublau Blazer, size 0
So, I'm afraid I'm a terrible reviewer- all I remember is that I really liked the slight stretch to this wool blend blazer and nothing else.  It may have been itchy, but I just kinda liked it.  I'm more in the market for a caramel blazer though, so this was reluctantly sent back to the floor.

Ihrin shirtdress, size 2
I wasn't super excited about the Ihrin shirtdress, but figured since it's green I should give it a shot, right?  Have I become so jaded that a green shirtdress fails to rouse me?  sad.  Anyway, the fit was fine, although a little too loose on top, and I didn't have much difficulty with the snaps.  I actually hate side zippers with a passion, since they always hurt that sensitive inner-arm skin, so I was fine with a little extra work to do it up.  I will definitely keep an eye on this for sale, and probably grab a 0 instead.


Trenchcoat skirt, size 4; Instant classic tee XS, Paintburst scarf
I love this shade of mossy-browny green, and was pleasantly surprised to find that this skirt actually fit.  I've read so many reviews about its hippy-unfriendliness and bunching, but I found this wasn't  such a bad fit.  But while I would LOVE to recreate the nerdy striped tee shot from the catalogue, I can't spend this much on a skirt, especially if it's not wool.  The striped tee and (I now discover) insanely expensive scarf were some of my play layering pieces.  The big soft scarf came in quite handy whenever I tried on something just too enormous for my upper body (hello Bronwen dress!).  The tee was definitely too clingy in the XS, but I'm not sure about the wide neck anyway.  I have my eye on the polka dot version- I never got over missing out on the curated tee last year!
Colloquium trousers, size 4; Nicoleta blouse, size 0 or 2

My problem when reviewing things is that if I like something, it's awfully hard to say mean things about it, even if warranted.  I love these pants- the waist was a little loose, the thighs were a little bit too snug- but I just liked 'em, alright?  The colour is a really pretty soft orange tweed and they just looked so cute with the bright pumps!  The blouse was just too blousy and not my style, but the white does look nice with the orange (but then, doesn't everything?)

Colorblocked oxford heels,size 36.5
These adorable shoes were comfortable, pretty and TTS.  I love the mix of colours and they pretty much go with everything.  Definitely added to my wishlist...
Test pattern dress, size XS


Test pattern dress, size small
This dress was a huge disappointment to me.  I fell in love the minute I saw those pretty little chevrons and full-skirt in Roxy's fall preview post a month ago.  I even contemplated ordering it at full-price because I loved it so.  Well, the XS looked terrible- the skirt was too short proportionally to the torso of the dress and the half-lining is really cheap.  It was better in the size small, so it had more length and drape, but the silvery threads and cotton knit just don't feel that rich next to more deluxe pieces at the same price point.  The one I tried on also had a large rip in the shoulder, which reminded me of all the cheap cotton knits I'm forever repairing for my boyfriend.  That's not to say that I wouldn't happily pick it up on sale, since I have nothing like it in my closet.  Just a missed opportunity.

Okay, that was tough, and I super really very much appreciate people who do regular reviews with consistent photos and sizing information!  Tomorrow I'll let you know what I brought home (I mean, you just know the painted plaid dress did, right?!) and then I have a set of beautiful very $$$$ Leifsdottir reviews I can share too.  Sigh.  That was fun, actually.

Comments