toile de jouy, toile de me


I started getting sick midway through the week, like everyone else it seems, but I thought I should dress up for New Years anyway.  We don't go out for the occasion- it's sort of our last hurrah to the cuddliness of sitting at home together, watching a movie and ordering in. Well, any plans I had for current dresses were waylaid when I got home from work and discovered a long, awaited package had arrived in the mail...
Leifsdottir's Majestic Cypress dress, Anthropologie Spring 2010

A bit of a whim, but I love toile de jouy prints and was drooling over a similar Vivienne Westwood dress on  Dita von Teese earlier this year.

I actually never saw this dress hit sale at Anthropologie from it's wild original list price- I must have cleared out my wishlist at some point when it sold out.  I usually don't go for the whole corset look, but it gives some structure to the over-the-top Marie-Antoinette/ Fragonard frilliness.  I was looking for a thin blouse to wear underneath and the colours in this one matched the overall tones of the dress (thank-you open wardrobe shelves!)

The only review I've seen for it online is a guest post by Ivoire at Effortless Anthropologie.  I was afraid the size 4 might be too big, given the sizing of things these days, but stupidly bought it anyway.*  Fortunately, I am rewarded for my acquisitiveness, since it fits perfectly, which means these must run small, since I'm usually a 2 in dresses.
Majestic Cypress dress (Anthropologie), Staring at Stars blouse (UO), cheapo cardigan, vintage belt, Beene Bag shoes (Etsy)


Toile de jouy is the french version of the chintz prints (printed calico) being imported from India in the 18th and 19th centuries- in this case the term refers to the textile mills in the town of Jouy (I always thought it referenced 'joie' somehow!)
Great Thames & Hudson book on the subject, well-illustrated as below

toile and gingham- I'm sold!
sigh...blue and white.  glad I don't need the Catmint dress now!
I need an architectural dress!

While picking up some images I came across this customizable dress- the seller Sarah Seven has moved on from Etsy into her own bridal line, but maybe she still does custom pieces...

Other toile inspirations,  the good:

Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette- great potential to play with the genre, disappointing result, but fun visuals nevertheless!
 the not-sure:
Wunderkind, Spring 2010
 and the frankly horrifying:

don't know where to look...
really the garbage bin that kills me!

 *side note- what is up with sizing these days anyway?  In high school, 15 pounds lighter, I took a size 29 in jeans.  Now I'm down to 27 and sometimes 26?  What's up with that?  And that I have to size down to a 0 in pencil skirts from J Crew is pretty ridiculous.  Most pencil skirts used to be tight in a size 4 on me!  Egads.

Comments

  1. I too am a big fan of toile de jouy prints, but I'm not able to pull it off. But I must say that you pulled it off effortlessly. I really like how you layered it.
    As for sizing down in J.Crew, I wonder if it's all a marketing ploy to make us girls feel better about ourselves. And the better we feel, the more $$ we fork over. haha, I thought to myself, hey, I'm a size 0, wow, I must've lost weight, now I can blow some $$ and have a milkshake. Not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Love the layers. I especially love the hint of pink and I totally love the belt and the shoes. You had me drooling last night with the smorgasbord of shoes. I have been following you for a while and you are one of my faves! Your sense of style is classic and well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great- what a lovely dress! I love toile, love anything Rococo in general, and love the Fragonard painting you've shared particularly :) Everything about this post makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that dress so much, but it was a little too cleavage-y for me. I love how you fixed that problem by layering! Now I wish I had gotten the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is amazing! I love it! You look so adorable. I love how you have styled it with layers of different colors and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice dress. i used to have a red/ivory toile print umbrella that i loved, but sadly it broke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J Crew came out with a few toil print pieces YEARS ago that I purchased and wore to death - a coral button down shirt and a blue skirt. Oh I am wishing I still had both pieces now!

    You look fantastic in that dress! I actually thought it was a little fancy-looking, but the way you styled it, you made it very day wearable but still so pretty and special.

    Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew- thanks guys! I think this print will have to wait until spring before it comes out again, but I'm glad it had a wearing right away to get things started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute dress!! And it looks great on you :)

    New to your blog but really enjoying it. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I have just realized that you are following me. i came to see your blog, and love, love it.
    I am following you back. Fantastic!!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I love this dress on you and you styled it so smartly for this time of year!

    I too adore toile. But I don't own anything in a toile fabric. I need to fix that. I love that photo from Marie Antoinette! No one captures the heavy ennui of extreme privilege quite like Coppola! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, you expressed it exactly! I may have to quote you on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The layers are beautiful! I love the filmy blouse under this dress. These types of prints are always so Parisian to me, which I adore. Have you seen the "naughty" toile prints? They're pretty hilarious and depict sexual acts in toile-style prints, haha! I wish I remembered the name of the designer...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the dress! I can understand the waiting till spring though, it is very spring/summery. I really enjoyed this post from you, all the information and pictures, it was great to read and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the toile dresses - so fun and cute. I use to have toile wallpaper all over my house (when we moved into it that way) and was SO excited to get rid of that...toile wallpaper was a little much for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I just read your comment on my blog and you can actually STILL get those oxford shoes. They're currently sold at Endless.com or you can click here to take you to the shoes on their site
    Hope this helps :) They're one of my fav pairs of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look lovely! I have never owned anything in a toile de jouy print - and if I had, I wouldn't have known what to call it. So thanks for the bit of history.

    Love your title, by the way - you're always so clever. (And so was your cute comment that you just left on my blog. Since you asked - you can pay your taxes in the form of vintage shoes, purses and jewelry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love this print!! you make a good point about the satorialist - like in the video, he asks the girl if he can take her picture and shes so bitchy - "um what is it for?" but wouldn't she have noticed the video cameras filming the whole thing go down and realize maybe it was a big deal production? anyways, your comments are always the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. u total me sold the dress to me !!! ... i saw that dress couple of times in stores .. but passed ... as corset thinngie is not really my style .. never thought it will look this good wearing ...loved the full skirt portion against the corset top ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh i just love toile! but yeah, the wallpaper is freakish. the dress is completely adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment